'Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.'
Welcome to Year 6, Autumn Term 2017
Our teaching team is:
Teacher: Mrs Ioja
Teaching Assistant: Miss Ridler
HLTA: Mrs Baker
PPA cover: Mrs Cocker (Wednesday afternoon)
PE: Monday afternoon
Welcome back to school and to the start of what is going to be a very exciting time in Year 6! The children are refreshed and all raring to go. We hope you enjoy yourself, work hard and make the most of your last year in primary school.
Autumn is on its way and we have a busy, fun couple of terms ahead of us! Our overriding question this term is ‘How can we run a class museum?’ which will involve a wide variety of learning activities, indoors and outdoors.
Just a few reminders:
- PE is on a Monday afternoon - kits should be in school every day
- I am out of class on a Wednesday afternoon (for planning, preparation and assessment and Mrs Cocker covers the class each week
- Your child should have a named water bottle (with a sports cap) in class every day - the classrooms get hot and stuffy!
- Your child should be reading as often as possible - after completing reading a book, your child should write a short review or summary of the book after which the book can be changed.
- Your child's targets this term are the following:
- Answering inferential questions when reading (i.e asking children what they think of characters and their actions rather than asking to recall events in a book)
- Editing and improving their writing
- Practising Y6 spelling patterns
- Practising multiplication and division facts for all the times tables
Our main learning focus for the Autumn term is Writing and we will be seeking opportunities to practice and develop our writing skills wherever possible, not only in English lessons, but across the curriculum and beyond. You can help at home by asking your child to help with shopping lists or encouraging them to write letters and notes to other people or why not write a story, a comic book, a poem and share it with our class.Our writing focus for the term is the correct use of punctuation, writing clearly constructed sentences and paragraphs based around given themes. We will have a strong focus on writing for the next two terms, as this is a hugely important skill that the children need to practice regularly in order to apply it effectively across their curriculum.
Some dates for your diaries:
Monday 4th and Tuesday the 5th September - INSET days for staff - school is closed
Wednesday the 6th - First day of the Autumn term for the children
Monday the 2nd October - School Closed - Staff Training
Friday the 20th October - Last day of Term One
Monday the 30th October - First day of Term Two
Tuesday the 19th December - Last day of Term Two
Look out for further dates being posted soon!