"Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much." —Blaise Pascal
Welcome to Year 6
Our teaching team is:
Teacher: Mrs Ioja
PPA cover: Mrs Norris (Friday afternoon)
PE: Wednesday afternoon
Welcome back to the final year at Stuart Road Primary School. We have a busy, fun couple of months ahead of us!
The children are refreshed and all raring to go. We hope you enjoy yourself, work hard and make the most of your last year in primary school.
Just a few reminders:
- PE is on a Wednesday afternoon - kits should be in school every day
- I am out of class on Fridays (for planning, preparation and assessment) and Mrs Norris covers the class each week
- Your child should have a named water bottle (with a sports cap) in class every day - the classrooms get hot and stuffy!
- Your child should be reading as often as possible - after completing reading a book, your child should write a short review or summary of the book after which the book can be changed.
In Maths we will be focusing on aspects such as Fractions, Decimals and Percentages and how to use these in our problem solving and reasoning tasks.
We are continuing to have a focus on presentation and handwriting, and all the children in the class are striving to improve with this.
The spelling patterns we learn are based on the spelling appendix for Upper Key Stage 2 and it is expected that children will have a confident grasp of these patterns by the end of Year 6. We are currently focussing on:
- Use further prefixes and suffixes and understand the guidance for adding them (such as –able and –ible)
- Spell some words with ‘silent’ letters (such as knight)
- Continue to distinguish between homophones and other words which are often confused
- Use knowledge of morphology and etymology in spelling
- Use dictionaries to check the spelling and meaning of words
- Use a thesaurus
Your child's targets this term are the following:
- Answering inferential questions when reading (i.e asking children what they think of characters and their actions rather than asking to recall events in a book)
- Writing grammatically accurate sentences and editing them
- Practising Y6 spelling patterns
- Practising multiplication and division facts for all the times tables
We are strongly continuing our focus on mindsets, and continue to actively promote the earning of tokens for fantastic learning behaviour. We are also spending lots of time discussing targets with the children and sharing our learning intentions so that the children have a context for their work.
We are more than happy to discuss any queries or concerns so either catch a member of staff in the playground (but please be aware mornings are very hectic) or ring the school office to make an appointment.